May 28, 2012

Life in the Past Lane

    car
    I live so much of my life in the past and future. So few minutes of my day are spent thinking about the present. Most often, my thoughts are, “I’ve gotta get this done before….” Or, “I wish I hadn’t done that….” 

    It’s not that planning for the future or learning from the past are bad (in fact, the Bible says we should do those things), but when I am dwelling on my plans or regrets – that’s not good.

     Here’s what the Bible says:

Ephesians 5:15-16
Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. (ST: Stay focused. We are in a war.)

James 4:14-15
Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that." (ST: Trust eliminates fear of the future. The ability to see my life in the light of eternity gives me the perspective I need to put things in proper order. People are more important than “getting things done.”)

Matthew 6:33-34
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (ST: Yup.)

Philippians 4:6-8
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. (ST: “Anxious for nothing,” including past regrets and future worries. I need to dwell on true things, things that are here and now that I can do for God’s glory.)

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (ST: So why worry over what is beyond my control? “He is on His throne and firmly seated,” as my father says.)

      I hope this encourages you to seize, not just the day, but every moment.

Post Tenebras Lux!
-ST

No comments: