Apr 15, 2014

Cooking With Cadi

     I wrote about 270 words today (not counting a recipe I typed up for a friend). The 270 were on a character development short story. It was slow going, but helpful in discovering more about the character.

     Now, before you give me a pat on the back, I have to confess my treachery. I stayed up until 1:00 am a few nights ago and wrote almost 1,000 words... but not for Flight. It was a completely different and unrelated sliver of a story that I was suddenly feeling inspired to write a couple pages for. Sometimes inspiration is like taking care of a child; fun, but not always controlled.

     I admit to being a little conflicted; I want to get Flight written so people can read it, but I also want to do my best. Trouble is, my best takes time. I still have a year and a half. I pray for creativity and disciple for my inspiration.

     Since I can't share my 270 words with you (top-secret, remember?), here is a copy of the other words I typed today. This is a yummy recipe and healthy to boot!



Broccoli with Garlic
Original Recipe by Greg Tingstrom, tweaked by the Murphy Family


2 lbs. broccoli florets
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 Tbs. coconut oil (original recipe called for olive oil, but we use coconut)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. water
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (I sometimes put a little less. It just depends on how hot you like the flavor.)

Cook broccoli until barely tender. (We steam a bag of frozen florets, but the original recipe called for fresh broccoli, cut and steamed.)
Place oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add garlic. Saute, stirring frequently, just until the garlic starts to soften. Add water, salt, and cayenne. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Place broccoli in a large serving bowl. Pour garlic mixture over it, mixing gently to coat. Serve hot or cold (we've never actually had it cold, so I don't know if what the original recipe says is really yummy).

Keep all vampires clear of the area, because that garlic is strong! Enjoy!  :)


Post Tenebras Lux!
-ST 

No comments: